June 23, 2011

Patience Is A Virtue...I Don't Have

It seems like most things we really want in life ask us to hurry up and wait! This is especially true when you are working your way through the fertility process. Wait at least six months when first trying to get pregnant, wait for test results on the causes for infertility, wait until you have enough money, wait until your cycle comes into line with our schedule, wait to try again until the emotional trauma of the last failed attempt is distant enough to try again, wait, wait, wait!!!!!

As you can tell, I am not good at this waiting game. Especially, when time plays such an important part in this process. Michelle and I are currently waiting with bated breath to know if we have been awarded a grant that we applied for back in March of this year. The grant is the original reason I started this blog and our submission letter was broken up to create my first several blogs. The grant could possibly make a difference in whether we are able to have another round of In Vitro this year or have to further put it off to sometime next year. Originally, the notifications were supposed to go out in May but they sent out word in late April that, due to overwhelming response, the notifications would be delayed until the beginning of June. Well, I don’t know about their math skills, but, considering we have less than two full weeks left in the month of June, I would say they are a little late. The suspense is maddening!!

On a positive note, I received great news yesterday! One of the biggest trials for me, personally, through this whole process has been the back and forth emotional turmoil caused by not knowing if I would have sperm to fertilize Michelle’s eggs. As you may recall, my early visits to the urologist were very disappointing and I was told I would never be able to father children of my own…only to have that idea reversed by our fertility doctor, who was a little more qualified to answer that question. I was able to fertilize the first round of In Vitro, however, after those first group of embryos were exhausted, we simply didn’t feel we could afford In Vitro again and my sperm counts weren’t high enough for insemination so we resolved ourselves to using a sperm donor for the next few inseminations. Once we made the decision to switch clinics and In Vitro became more affordable, we were again hit with a devastating realization that some form of internal blockage had formed that was not allowing any sperm to be excreted. We were told that there were a few procedures available to directly extract the sperm from my testicle, but we were told it could be pricey and our insurance basically covers nothing fertility related. So, we ended up using a donor sample again for our last failed attempt at In Vitro. Well yesterday, after meeting with my new urologist, for whom I have a lot of respect, I was told that our insurance would cover 100% of the sperm extraction procedure!!! So, when we do decide to move forward with our next round, at least we can finally rest assured that we once again will have the opportunity to have a child that carries both of our genes. Now, back to that grant?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment